A Broader Scope

Hello loyal readers,

It's been a while... there have been a lot of changes around here since I last checked in. It all started when I decided to take a sabbatical of sorts a little while back. We were just chilling in a small town in rural Canada while I worked on my new commercial finance business. I even did a bit of moonlighting, taking advantage of the plethora of first world opportunities that surrounded me before we set sail again in search of our next reef.

As my amazing luck would have it, that plan was tossed out the window in the blink of an eye when I was involved in a pretty serious car accident. Now, six months later my injuries continue to prevent me from returning to my regular activities, both in my professional and personal life.

So, we're grounded for the time being. Until I make a full recovery we'll continue to chill out here in the middle of nowhere. Aside from the frustrations that come along with physical rehabilitation and dealing with insurance companies, doctors and the like, it's not so bad. We're surrounded by nature and some wonderful learning opportunities. I've been figuring since we can't resume our active worldschooling lifestyle any time soon I'll have to get creative if I'm to keep these energetic young Reef-Rats engaged.  I mean, their education since 2010 has been extremely kinesthetic; one long string of field trips is how some friends describe our life. Whether it's traveling with me or visiting local attractions with friends and family while I moonlight, they have become accustomed to a very active lifestyle.

While the aftermath of my accident consumes us most days, there have still been many other changes we've seen recently. If there's one thing that I can consistently say in my life it's that I don't ever worry about stagnation. Things are always in a state of motion around here, even if it seems that our moves are often lateral it's all good in my book. The worst fate that could befall me is for life to become stale and monotonous.

On that note, I want to share my thoughts on this blog. What it started out as, what it has been and what I'd like to see it become. In it's early stages it served as a research tool for the kids as they hit Google pretty hard trying to get a glimpse of their future life as expats. Most of the info they gathered was not posted, but filed away for future comparison against the real thing. As we made the trek from Canada to Belize my head was spinning as I took each new experience in and I completely forgot to journal most of it. This is the ultimate goal I suppose in today's high tech world of information sharing; to become lost in each moment rather than only half experience it because we are too busy photographing, recording or otherwise capturing our way through everything.

As we found our way around San Pedro, this platform eventually served as a way to provide what I felt was valuable information to others considering a similar move. I discussed things that I hadn't been able to find any info on before we made our move and I did so with a dose of harsh reality. With that being said, it has now been three years since I got on that one-way flight out of DTW and as sure as I'm sitting here now, some of the information included in this blog has surely become outdated. Since my objective was to assist others by providing helpful details of our experience as a family moving to Belize, I'm not sure that there is anywhere left for it to go. You can see where this is headed...

As you know if you have been following us, we are also unschoolers/life-learners/world learners... whatever you'd like to call it. We believe that living life is far more interesting/magical/educational than reading textbooks and subjecting ourselves to indoctrination by government run schools. You might also know that we have a sister site called A Croc Ate My Homework which gives you a glimpse into that aspect of our lives. In addition I write two other, unrelated blogs which, quite honestly have also become rather static as of late.

I don't have a well defined vision just yet but what I do know is that I find journaling to be therapeutic and lord knows I need something to keep me sane while this latest drama plays out. I can also say that all of my current blogs are lacking in many ways as I'm not really giving 100% to any of them. Ideally I'd like to streamline and merge everything into one place. So, is this farewell? I sincerely hope not. I hope when the new changes take effect you will enjoy the broader scope of my content and continue to follow our crazy adventures in travel, alternative education and life in general.

Until then...

XO
Reef-Rats
1 Response
  1. Nice Post Dear.... I Like Your Post......


Post a Comment